Ed Sheeran's Shape of You might be one of the easiest songs you've wanted to learn lately. However, in this sub-5 minute tutorial I'll also show a couple of alternative ways to play this 4 chord loop - perfect for you beginners looking to get some tips on how to "body-up" your chords
Hi Guys! What's up?
When Ed yet again reaches number one AND my girlfriend goes crazy over his freshest and coolest Shape of You, finding in it her new favorite song who am I to try and resist growing fond of the tune a little myself as well (I have probably heard it over ten gazillion times - strange how things can start to grow on you after enough repetition).
So, providing you with the current worldwide no 1, here's Shape of You, stripped down to playability in under 5 minutes (didn't quite make my own goal there 😉 ).
In this tutorial I'll show you the original keyboard part (that signature marimba riff), which is built out of the main (yes, you guessed it) four chord progression.
I'll also show you some alternative ways of playing those chords, to maybe begin creating and playing your own version.
LESSON | CONTENTS
We'll look at:
- The basic progression of Shape of You (yet again - a four chord loop)
- How to play that catchy marimba, top melody
- How that originates from the underlaying chords - and how ed uses those to harmonise the part
- A few different ways to play the chords - giving more or less "body" to it
- How you could play this is an organic and flowing way by adding a freely improvised combination of patterns - talking music
Chord Sheet with chord progression as per used in the tutorial audio only and MIDI file available for Premium Couturians.
In the comments below, please let me know what you think and / or are looking to learn!
ED SHEERAN | SHAPE OF YOU